Friday, January 18, 2013

No Season 2 for Terra Nova!


Terra Nova fans were left heartbroken when Fox cancelled the series after just one season back in March, leaving the story with several unresolved plotlines. While the ‘complete series’ DVD gives fans the opportunity to create their own ending, Stephen Lang who played Commander Taylor, like many fans, would have preferred the real thing — which he claims would have become ‘darker’ and more ‘rugged’ in Season 2.In an interview with Digital Spy, Lang teased the early discussions he had with the producers about that now doomed second second, which would have pushed forward with the Badlands storyline introduced in, what was ultimately, the series finale:  “We certainly had discussions about it and I knew a very basic idea – we were heading out towards the Bad Lands, which is interesting to me because we filmed in Australia and we took good advantage of so much of the lushness that was offered to us on the Gold Coast.  “Of course, so much of Australia is the interior – you don’t really have to penetrate too far to get there, and I really did envision the second season being much more rugged and different. I was anticipating all kinds of camouflaged scenes, with dinos and things. A lot of rock and sand and heat, and I liked that idea.


While Lang is a big supporter of Terra Nova, he accepts that the tone of the series didn’t mesh well with the overall premise and ultimately took to long to find its footing — some might argue it never did. He said: I thought the show was going to be great, and I thought that things were going to get tougher and leaner. The world of Terra Nova as we joined it… there is a certain amount of prosperity there, and in fact I would say that I was a bit surprised when I first got there to see how it had all developed and how sophisticated the colony was – I had envisioned it being a bit more Swiss Family Robinson, but that wasn’t my call. It’s cool, I totally got on board with that, but I thought after the destruction of the colony and the destruction of the portal, it was interesting – now we can really regress. Things were gonna get tougher.But I think that would’ve happened anyway because of the tone – the show took a long time to find itself, to find its tone, and I think that probably contributed to its demise. That’s unfortunate, but I did think that the tone it achieved in the final episodes was a slightly darker tone and a slightly more mature tone and I think that was absolutely right for it As for what was in store for Commander Taylor, Lang reveals the second season would have seen the questionable leader’s sanity come under increased scrutiny: “They had very interesting plans for my character, I know that there was a touch of madness on the table. I was looking forward to going in that direction.”With Terra Nova now on DVD, Lang is hopeful it will find a larger audience, but sees irony in the fact that the so-titled ‘Complete Series’ has incomplete story: I mean there’s an irony because okay, it’s all that there is, but to me the show remains incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...